A lot of general printing issue can be resolved by performing the steps in sections. For other technical issues and information, refer to the section that most excellent matches the preferred in order.
Common Printer Troubleshooting Steps and Procedures.
Note: The next step applies to all brands of printers.
- When linked by a USB cable, reseat both ends of the cable going from the computer to the printer.
- Restart the PC.
- Turn the printer off.
- The printer power cord from the A/C outlet or surge protector and wait at least 30 seconds.
- Printer power cord back into the A/C outlet or surge protector.
- Turn the printer back on.
- Make a test page.
(For directions on how to turn out a test page from Windows, click the links below that correspond to the Operating System that is installed on the computer.)
- Make sure the preferred printer is set as the avoid printer.
- For networked printers connected by a wireless or wired network and not a USB cable make sure the computer is on the network and the printer portal settings and IP address are correct. For instructions on how to make sure the computer is on the network and the printer portal settings and IP address are correct, click the link below that corresponds to the system that is installed on the PC.
- Run the Printer troubleshooter to analyze and routinely correct any printer technical issues. For more information, refer to the Dell Knowledge base article How to Resolve Printer Errors.
- Print a test page. For instructions on how to print a test page from Windows, click the link below that corresponds to the Operating System that is installed on the computer.
- Do a System re-establish to a time when the printer was effective.
For instructions on how to execute a System Restore, refer to Dell Knowledge base article:
Uninstall the printer driver, download and install the newest printer driver. For instructions on how to do so for Dell printers, refer to the Dell information Base article, receiving Dell Printer Drivers, User Guides, Software, and Firmware. For help with non-Dell printers, refer to the Dell Knowledge Bottom article How to Use and Troubleshoot Non-Dell Branded Printers.